Friday, March 25, 2011

Caramel Macchiato=Happiness in a Cup

Three day weekend! Even though I just had two days off last week, I feel like I need this so badly. Probably because last week's days off were filled with traveling and busyness and fun--all the things that make days practically evaporate. I had a really long week at work...with lots of stupid moments (backroom flooded from a clogged drain, preparing for a visit from our auditors, accidentally throwing away my cafe keys and thinking that a customer had picked them up, etc), so I'm ready to decompress. And probably force myself to do the dishes and laundry at some point, as well.

I have a Kindle now. :) When I first heard about e-readers, I believe I shook my head, scoffed...probably even half-seriously vowed to never own one. I like the feel of a book in my hand, and the look of them on my bookcase...I like turning and dog-earring pages and writing in margins and I adore bookstores. So why would I want to give all that up for...portability?

But Carissa talked me into giving it a try, primarily because it would make it easy for us to read the same books and have a...book club, of sorts. And I have to say, I kind of love it. Maybe this is just leftover baggage from being an English major and taking multiple literary classes each semester, but I really like reading several books at once. I enjoy the option to switch gears, based on what I'm in the mood to read at any given moment. Right now, I'm reading a book of newly crafted fairy tales (My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me by forty really fabulous writers), a Victorian novel (Villette by Charlotte Bronte), and a contemporary historical novel (Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen). Being able to have all three books in my purse at the same time is AMAZING. In print, they're a collective 1500 pages. In print, all three in the purse wouldn't really be an option. So, that's the main perk. There's other little things I love about it...the design makes it really easy for me to eat and read at the same time (which I do often, on my lunch break at work). With an actual book, it's always a challenge...trying to keep the pages from flipping on me with my elbow and such. Kindle can read to me, which is awesome. It's just a computery voice, not dramatized of course, but it gets the point across. I know I'll totally be making use of that during a long drive at some point in the future. Oh, and everything on Amazon is cheaper in Kindle version (and ridiculously cheaper than Barnes and Noble's in-store prices).

So, all of the above (plus even more little things that I won't bore you by mentioning) is why I abandoned my initial "e-readers are stupid" stance, and now happily own a Kindle. Besides, I'll still buy actual books, as well as electronic ones--just not as often.

Okay, I think I've devoted enough of my afternoon to blogging/gushing over Kindle. Time to pay attention to my keyboard. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment