Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Settled In

Well, it's been two weeks since we moved in...it feels like we've been here months, though, now that we're settled in. Love it here. It's so bright and sunny and roomy but also cozy because of the floor plan. Don't even get me started on how much I love the covered deck (especially on days like today when it feels like fall in the morning) and having my own office (no more desk and keyboard squashed in the living room, yay!) and the gigantic kitchen (in which I've already baked brownies and an apple crisp, in addition to many meals). Basically, we're very happy here. When I'm at work, I'm actually excited to come home and be here. That's new, and I like it.

I'm looking for a new job. I can't take Target much longer. It's no surprise that I'm miserable right now, though, during the back to school rush. In my opinion, back to school is worse than the Christmas rush...especially when you're working weekend shifts. UGH. Now, I'm aware that things will be much much better once it's September. And until late November, it will probably be blissfully slow. But that doesn't change the fact that I'm working very hard for only seventy cents above minimum wage...and that's AFTER my big yearly raise! Pfft.

I like working at Target, really. I'm great at my job, all my bosses love and appreciate me, and my immediate supervisor Judy has given me a lot of responsibility at the cafe--letting me fill out and scan our weekly food orders, having me train new team members, etc. And if they paid me $9.00/hour, I would be completely content to stay there until I have to quit for graduate school. But they don't. Sooo, looking for a new job. Thus far, I've applied for an editorial assistant position and a customer service rep position. I think I would be quite qualified for either position, what with the English degree and the five years of customer service experience and all...so hopefully I get a call soon for an interview.

Still obsessed with crocheting. I've made...six purses now. Heh. Not all for me, though--I gave a couple away as gifts. I'm working on a small afghan now, in super soft "autumn red" yarn. It's so pretty, I can't wait til it's finished. Jordan says it's too small, though, so I guess next I'll try making a full sized one. And pretty sure I'll be crocheting at least a couple things for Christmas presents this year. Maybe I'll be brave enough to try making socks by then!

I didn't think it was possible, but I love Regina Spektor even more now. Stumbled upon some songs of hers I had never listened to before...man. They've been stuck in my head constantly for the past two days. <3

UPDATE: I have an interview on Friday, yay! Its for the customer service position, at a specialty lightbulb company. Hope it goes well!! Did I mention this is a Monday-Friday, 8-5 job? After a year of working mostly evenings and pretty much every weekend, that sounds beyond wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment