Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The long overdue update

Hi, blog! Been a while, huh? Let's see...what has happened since I last wrote?

Well, I quit the online job I picked up in November. It was stressing me out. Probably a very poor choice on my part to start a second job in the Christmas shopping season. All through December I was working 60 hours a week between Target and the online stuff...sooo not ideal. But more than that, the job just wasn't for me. Half the time, I felt like I was borderline harassing people, trying to get them to reply to my messages. The work was tedious. Worst of all, I didn't think the articles I was trying to get people to publish were very good...just generic crap full of seo keywords. If I would've been hired for the position I originally applied for (editor...as opposed to "email relationship manager"), I probably would've stuck with it. Oh well. I'm very happy that I quit--I have time to work on writing again!

Still working at Target. /sigh. Now that the Christmas shopping insanity is over, I don't mind my job...it's just, as always, the low pay that bothers me. I'm kind of holding out for April (that's when they give raises every year) to decide if I should stay or just move on to the next job that has nothing to do with my degree. My supervisor, Judy, retired earlier this month. I actually applied for the job, after much urging from Jordan and some of my coworkers. I didn't get it--"not enough leadership experience." Probably for the best...all you who know me should know that a supervisory position wouldn't really suit my personality. I only applied for the pay raise and benefits, anyway.

Bentley's been with us for three months. Feels like it's been much longer. He still has his issues (as any dog would after having been with a less than nurturing family that ignores him, doesn't attempt potty training, and lets his fleas and worms go untreated)...but he's definitely progressing with training. I think in another month, he'll be officially housebroken and we can retire the puppy pee pads. And he is SUCH a sweetheart cuddle monster. That's my favorite thing about him--he loves to snuggle.

I'm almost an aunt! (Well, an aunt to my own brother's child. I already have two freaking adorable nieces and a nephew by marriage.) I'm very excited to meet baby Malachi next month. Grant and Nikcole are staying in the U.S. until May, I believe, and then going back to Dominica so Grant can resume classes in med school.

Now some bad news...my mom has breast cancer. Sorry for the rough delivery--blunt is best for me, when it comes to bad news. I've known since November, but my parents wanted to keep it a secret until they knew more about what sort of treatment plan she would be going through. After she had the lump and some lymph nodes removed, her oncologist decided she needed 16 weeks of chemotherapy, followed by some radiation. She's halfway through her chemo treatments. I won't get into the emotional turmoil my family has gone through over this...but my mom is getting through it and I'm incredibly proud of her. She's stronger than anyone realizes.

Mmk, think I've hit all the major points of interest. Now to enjoy some peanut butter dark chocolate brownies and the rest of my day off.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...that must be really hard. I'm glad you guys are pulling through. I will keep her and your family in my thoughts. Love you.

    ReplyDelete