Thursday, July 16, 2009

Here Comes the Bride? Um, no.

I REALLY don't want to walk down the aisle to Wagner's Bridal Chorus, aka Here Comes the Bride. I'm such an odd bride. For some parts of my wedding, I've happily embraced the norm: the big, poofy white dress; classical music for the prelude and processional; traditional indoor ceremony. And then there are some things that are just too cookie-cutter for me...too expected. Like red roses to go with our red and white color scheme. NO THANK YOU. Daisies are much more "me." Similarly, I need to walk down the aisle to a song that suits me...not one that I hate because I've heard it at nearly every wedding I've ever attended (not to mention every fake wedding portrayed in TV shows, cartoons, and movies). So...what to do?

I was considering Ode to Joy because it's somewhat significant to me. I played a simple version of it at my very first piano recital when I was eight or so, and my mom walked down the aisle to it at her wedding. But Jordan begged me not to use Ode to Joy. He says it sounds too Christmasy. /sigh. I could always find a piano arrangement of one of my favorite love songs, but I don't want to go that route. I'm not going to have Grant play classical music for everything else and then throw in a random pop song, even if it is an instrumental version. How about.....

Largo by Handel?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMrugXrp5XE

Air on the G String by Bach?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP66UH3ymbw

I love Largo, but Air on the G String is a little more lighthearted, I think. Opinions?


SIXTEEN DAYS til the wedding. EEK!

Geez...what am I going to blog about once the wedding is over? The joys and trials of life as an Applebees hostess? Hah.

1 comment:

  1. I would first just like to say thank-you for not wanting to use Wagner's Bridal Chorus. I didn't even know that's what it was was called...I always just refer to it as the "dun, dun, dun-dun" wedding thing.

    Both of the options you've presented sound great. I think I prefer option B, Air on the G String. Mainly because it has a much lesser tendency to make me think of death and also because I like Bach...

    ReplyDelete