Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Finally...

Well of the million (okay, more like ten) places that I've applied in the past couple weeks, someone FINALLY wants to interview me. Target. The interview is this Friday and I'm super nervous. It's kind of ridiculous because anyone can be a cashier...but their interviews are ridiculous. I remember--I applied at Target when I was sixteen. They ask a lot of behavioral questions that pertain to past jobs--"tell me about a time when your boss was wrong and you had to confront them" "tell me about a time when you had to be a team player" "describe a situation where you made a mistake" and so on. For a long time. I remember thinking that it took FOREVER. And because I had never had a job before, most of the questions were impossible for me to answer. It sucked! Jordan, as a past Target employee, confirmed the ridiculousness of their interviews. So I'm spending the next couple days madly thinking of all kinds of scenarios and situations I've been through at my past jobs. If I don't get this job, I will be very upset. Jordan's not very happy that I'm applying at Target and Caribou Coffee and so on when I have a college degree...but I try not to let it bother me. Right now, we just need me to have an income.

In the meantime, I'm working on a few stories that I hope to use for my MFA program applications. And trying to decide which past professors to pester with emails, begging them for letters of recommendation. I need three of them, at least for the Writer's Workshop. I've looked at a handful of other MFA creative writing programs in the midwest (because I don't want to move far away), but not in great detail. Probably because my heart is so set on the Writer's Workshop. Iowa State has a program, but I'm not too interested because they require the GRE...yuck. I DO NOT want to take that...a lot of MFA programs will happily look at your scores, but they don't require it.

Anyway...I still haven't decided if I'm going to apply to any programs this fall/winter, or if I want to wait another year. My writing TAs all urged me to take at least two years off, ha. That sounds lovely--I want to take as much time as I need to make my writing portfolio as perfect as possible. The idea of being done with it in just six months is kind of scary. But I keep thinking about babies. We've been talking about starting to try in the next couple years, but that's not very realistic if I want to go back to school in two years. Oh well. We'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment