Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tanzanian Peaberry

New type of coffee I'm trying, from Archer Farms (Target's brand). The beans are really cute--small and round, like peas...hence the name, maybe? It's pretty tasty.

So, the new job is going pretty well. I'm officially done with training as far as Food Avenue goes, and I'm learning cashier today. I'm not too excited that the shift is 3-11, but I'm looking forward to learning cashiering--it will be so easy compared to Food Avenue! To put it into perspective, Food Avenue took four days, ie around 30 hours, of training; cashiering takes about an hour of training. I do like Food Avenue a lot--I like the multitasking involved, and having a whole section to myself. As predicted, it reminds me so much of Great American Cookies. What sucks is all the cleaning that needs to be done, particularly at closing. Opening doesn't have much cleaning--it's mostly turning things on and prepping food. But closing is ridiculous. We have a two page list of things that need to be cleaned and we're supposed to start at 5 PM and finish at 9:30. Easy enough if business slows down as the evening progresses--not so easy if it's, say, 4th of July weekend and you're super busy up until 8:00. And since I JUST finished training, I'm slow at everything. So instead of finishing by 9:30, I finish after 10:00. But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it over the next couple weeks.

And good news--my parents are giving us a car! Matt's old sable that he drove in high school. My Dad put a new battery in it the other day, and it started up just fine (after two years of sitting in our back driveway). He said that he just needs to get the alignment fixed, and then it should be fine for us to drive in town. Having two cars will open up job possibilities, for sure--Jordan will be able to work something other than third shift, if he wants.

Sadly, I have done very little writing since I started my job. I wasn't expecting to work 35 hours my first week...and the eight hours shifts took some adjusting. For the first couple days, I actually kind of missed the four hour shifts of Applebees. And on top of that, I've had various other things going on. Cookouts with both Jordan's family and mine, wedding stuff with Carissa. I've been exhausted! Writing just hasn't been on my mind...except for yesterday, when it dawned on me that I haven't written anything in a week (with the exception of journaling). I remembered something that one of my writing TAs and the U of I said about writing everyday--when you make writing a daily habit, that's when you've become serious about it...and that's when you really start to make progress. So I'm going to try to write everyday from now on, if at all possible. I should probably buy myself a cute journal to write in, as incentive.

Mmk...time to finish up the laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment