Wednesday, June 3, 2009

In Less Than Two Months...

I'm getting married in less than two months and I'm ridiculously excited about it. If the rest of our planning could be miraculously done (wouldn't that be amazing? I'm not looking forward to hand-addressing 200 envelopes this week), we would get married tomorrow. So why is it that, lately, everyone has been asking us if we're nervous? Anxious? Scared? I know that marriage is a pretty big step and we're relatively young to be taking it, but anxiety is the last thing that I'm feeling. As Jordan has grown fond of telling people, we already feel and act like we're married. What's so scary about making it official? I can't wait to be Amy Locke. (Doesn't that sound/look fantastic?!)

On to a less happy subject. Our apartment feels so empty. Kylie and Carissa both moved out, leaving the whole place to Jason, Jordan, and me (well, until Sara moves in on Friday). I miss Carissa, but not terribly. North Liberty is only ten miles away, so of course we'll still see each other frequently. Her keyboard is a different story... I played it when I was stressed, bored, angry and frustrated--half an hour every day, at least. I played it while waiting for the water to boil or the coffee to brew or the oven to preheat. Now I don't know what to do with myself! I wrote a poem for my poetry writing course last month that is oddly appropriate. I can relate to it much more now than when I wrote it...

To My Piano

Your shining fingers carefully hold
Every fingerprint of mine.
How I miss you!
My fingers are lost without you,
Wandering aimlessly on desks
And armrests,
Missing our songs.
Your fingers wait patiently,
Eager to feel my branding thumb
On middle C. I’ll meet you there.
We’ll make some new music.

*sigh* Well, if nothing else, the loss of the keyboard has prompted me to return to neglected hobbies. Reading (for pleasure, not for class...) and journaling (or blogging, I should say), among other things. I actually got my flute out from under the bed last night and played for a while. I wish it wasn't such a piercingly loud instrument, though. I think on my next trip to Burlington, I'll steal my acoustic guitar back from Matt.

Well, I think it's time to take a shower and go to the library. I finished the book I was reading last night ("The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. Great fantasy book. Fantasy has never been my favorite genre, but I absolutely loved it) and I need something new to read tonight when Jordan goes to work.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you miss my keyboard more than me. That's mildly depressing. Just kidding. Sadly...that poor keyboard hasn't been played since we moved in. It probably misses you too.

    ReplyDelete