Friday, May 21, 2010

It's all so Dutch!

I'm currently in Orange City with my parents, visiting Grant. He's been a lovely host--he grilled us steaks for supper tonight, with green beans and salad...yum. For dessert, he took us down the road to the town Le Mars, where the Blue Bunny factory is. They have this amazing ice cream parlor where they bring menus to your table like you're at a sit-down restaurant (there's nothing but ice cream on the menu, of course). You can also take some kind of Blue Bunny tour, but we got there too late for that. Oh well...the fried ice cream sundae I had was delicious. Grant's house is so cute...and so is this town! I would love to live here. Everyone is so friendly--you can't walk past someone on the sidewalk without them smiling and saying hello. And I love all the Dutch architecture. Everything looks Dutch, from bakeries to banks to the Pizza Hut. The Orange City chamber of commerce is inside a windmill! There's a shop where you can buy Dutch wooden shoes...and except for the rough, dusty feeling of the unfinished wood, they're really comfortable. I'm glad that we came just a week past the tulip festival--the tulips are still all over the place. The red ones are my favorite. We're leaving in the morning...I'm a bit sad that we couldn't stay in the area longer. I would love to get to know the town better and write a story set here.

In other news...I got my final grades for the semester. To my extreme shock, I got a 4.0--for the first time ever in my college career...and this was my hardest semester! How crazy is that?? I think that I must have gotten an A+ on my European Lit final and that the professor wasn't nearly as harsh on grading participation as he claimed he was going to be. Same story for my essay workshop--when he emailed me an evaluation of my work in class, he didn't say a single thing about me not talking enough...despite the fact that he made a HUGE deal of it throughout the semester. Nice of him to make me sweat and fret all semester long for nothing...oh well. I'm certainly not going to argue!

So, I didn't get the job at Bank of the West. I'm not too surprised. They sent me an email saying that they were impressed with my customer service experience but have "identified another candidate with qualifications that more closely meet the position's requirements"...in other words, probably someone who has actually worked in a bank before. Good riddance. I felt kind of iffy about the job anyway once they told me that it's more of a retail-style position than an office-assistant position, as their ad led me to believe. The job search continues...

Well, it's almost 1 am so I guess I better call Jordan to say goodnight and then attempt to fall asleep (been having huge issues with that lately). This has been a fun mini-vacation, but I miss the hubby! Excited to get home to him tomorrow. <3

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your awesome GPA! :) That's so awesome; I know you worked really hard on it!

    We'll have to arrange a get-together, say the first week of June sometime? <3

    ReplyDelete