Sunday, May 2, 2010

That's just great...

"Going a night without sleep may cause your hippocampus to go on strike. A new study has caught this crucial memory-encoding brain region slacking off in college students the day after they've pulled an all-nighter. The study is one of the first to investigate how sleep deprivation interferes with memory mechanisms in the human brain . . . just as sleep is important for consolidating new memories after they're learned, as other studies have shown, it's equally important for preparing the brain to learn new things the following day."

You can imagine how thrilled I was to read that in one of the articles I'm using for my paper on sleep and memory. How cruel is it that I'm going to end up having to pull an all-nighter to write about this crap? My week is going to be full of all-nighters, in fact. Take a look at my to-do this...

Sunday: finish paper for human memory
do journal and workshop letters for Monday's fiction seminar

Monday: go to fiction seminar
do final project/essay revision for Tuesday
do european lit reading for Tuesday

Tuesday: go to classes
do lessons 13 and 14 for memory
do lessons 15 and 16 for mythology
study for mythology exam

Wednesday: take mythology exam
read portion of essay at writer's gone public
study for european lit exam

Thursday: go to classes
take european lit exam
do lessons 15 and 16 for memory
study for memory exam

Friday: take memory exam
pass out in exhaustion

So, should I plan for three all-nighters in a row and do horribly on my exams because I'll be too sleep-deprived to think properly...OR should I get a decent amount of sleep and do horribly on my exams because I didn't study enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment