Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What I Miss about College.

So it's almost September. Classes at the U of I have been in full swing for a week. While I'm overjoyed that I haven't had to spend hundreds of dollars on textbooks or countless hours trying to write that perfect first paper of the semester, there are things that I miss.

1. Skippable classes. You know...those ones where the professors rarely takes attendance and really only cares that you show up for exams and turn in your assignments. Or even the ones where the professor does want you to show up to every class, but they give you 3 or 4 freebies to use throughout the semester. If you don't show up, they won't ask questions--they just trust that you'll be there the next day. Too bad my bosses at Target don't think that way.

2. Great literature classes. I have fallen in love with so many books that I never ever would have picked up off a shelf in Barnes and Noble, thanks to my many lit professors and TAs with their brilliant syllabuses. Without them, I've resorted to typing "good books" into Google to determine what I should read next. Sad, yes.

3. Walking to class. Because I love nature but don't see enough of it now. The U of I has such a pretty campus, especially at this time of year. And I miss the exercise! All those brisk walks/sprints through campus, trying to make it to class on time, were doing me a lot of good.

4. Reading and having a caramel macchiato between classes at T.Spoons in the old capitol mall. When it starts to get chilly, in October, I'm going to miss it ten times more.

5. Using school as an excuse to only work 10-15 hours a week...and being able to get away with it because of leftover student loan money.

6. Workshop classes. If only a group of well-meaning English majors, along with their wise TA, could randomly show up at my door to read and discuss my writing with me. And then I could read and discuss their writing with them. That would be lovely.

7. Not feeling like you need to worry too much about the future, because--hey, you're still an undergrad! No one expects you to have things figured out yet. Or at least that was the attitude in the English department.

No comments:

Post a Comment