Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snow Day!

Ah, what a delightful snow day it was. It felt so good to wake up at 8:30, see that classes were canceled, and then sleep til noon; I'm finally caught up on sleep! And I got a lot of homework done today--completely finished a project that's due on Friday. One less thing to worry about! I'm actually not feeling stressed out at all. I only have two big things left on my agenda--final vocab building exam on Friday and a 5-7 page paper due next Tuesday. By 11:00 on Tuesday, I'll be DONE! Well, until January 19th.

You know, I realized something about myself as a writer today: I hate writing second drafts. Second drafts of anything. After I write something, whether it's a poem, an essay, a story or a play, I want to be DONE with it. In the fiction writing class I'm taking, my teacher always sends me back really great notes on my stories, telling me what to keep in mind for my second drafts and so on. And I'm always thinking..."second draft? Pfft. No, this thing is finished." Which is actually really ridiculous, now that I think about it. I know nothing I write is ever perfect the first time; I know I could make so many improvements...and yet, I rarely make the effort. And I'm not even sure why I do that. A bad habit left over junior high/high school, I guess. I got way too much praise and not enough constructive criticism in writing classes. But it's suddenly occurred to me that if I want to be a writer, I have to get over my fear of second drafts...and even become open to third, fourth and fifth drafts. So...something to work on over Christmas break: REVISE all the old stories that I've abandoned.

So I guess there's a slim chance that the U or I might cancel classes again tomorrow. I, of course, don't really care because I don't have any Thursday classes. If only Applebees would close...I'm sure we'll be dead tomorrow. Who's going to venture out for lunch in a foot of snow? Not to mention the fact that tomorrow's high is TEN. Ten degrees. Yep. December, you suck. Anyway, since there's no chance of Applebees closing tomorrow, I should get to bed. I'll have to get up half an hour earlier than usual to dig my car out of a snow drift...

No comments:

Post a Comment